Skip to content
Legendary Kathak Dancer Pandit Birju Maharaj no more
- Legendary Kathak maestro, composer and singer, Pandit Birju Maharaj has passed away, due to age-related ailments. He was turning 84 in February 2022.
- He was born as Brij Mohan Nath Mishra and popularly known as Maharaj Ji or Pandit Ji.
- Maharaj Ji was the doyen of the Lucknow Gharana of Kathak
- He was the recipient of Padma Vibhushan, country’s second-highest civilian award.
- A book based on his life, titled Nritya Samrat Pt. Birju Maharaj, was launched in 2021.